The AIARE Course Leader Training (CLT) is a five-day course that trains highly-experienced AIARE Instructors to lead Avalanche Awareness, Avalanche Rescue, AIARE 1, and AIARE 2 courses. Participants will apply their operational risk management skills and experience as AIARE Instructors in learning how to create positive learning environments for AIARE course participants. Participants will use their deep understanding of the AIARE curriculum to learn how to manage a team of instructors to meet the learning outcomes of the AIARE curriculum.
Participants are evaluated and receive feedback on their risk management and instructional skills. Individuals who successfully complete the course and meet AIARE Course Leader qualifications will be able to apply for AIARE Course Leader status.
The AIARE Course Leader Training (CLT) equips highly-experienced AIARE Instructors to lead an AIARE course. AIARE Course Leaders manage a team of AIARE Instructors using industry best practices to meet educational learning outcomes. To ensure the course can focus on providing opportunities to learn and practice these skills, AIARE requires potential Course Leaders to have sufficient experience and demonstrated readiness to lead courses as supported by a letter of recommendation from an current AIARE Course Leader. In addition, potential Course Leaders must meet professional training requirements before they can attend the Course Leader Training.
AIARE CLT Prerequisites. In order to apply for the CLT you need to have the following:
- 7 seasons of winter backcountry experience involving leadership and decision making in avalanche terrain
- Experience instructing AIARE 1, 2, and Avalanche Rescue courses
- Letter of recommendation from an AIARE Course Leader outlining competence delivering AIARE curriculum and leading avalanche course participants in the field
- PRO 2 certificate or equivalent
- Current AIARE Instructor membership – dues and continuing education are current
- Current American Avalanche Association (A3) professional membership or pending application
Participants who successfully complete the AIARE CLT will be able to apply for AIARE Course Leader status.
For more detailed information about requirements, see the AIARE Instructor Qualifications document.
Course Leader Training dates are typically announced in early fall. To be notified when the 2019-2020 season’s courses will open for registration, fill out this form.
You can find directions for course registration under the “Application” tab.
In order to register for a Course Leader Training course, you will be required to submit an application providing information about the required course prerequisites, as well as some basic current medical and personal information at the time of registration and payment. Full payment is due at the time of registration.
To apply for a CLT you will need to submit the following in digital format:
- A resume detailing 7 seasons of backcountry experience involving leadership and decision making in avalanche terrain. You can use this document to detail your experience.
- Check that your profile is up to date by logging into the AIARE website and checking “My Courses” to ensure that your profile demonstrates significant experience teaching Avalanche Rescue, AIARE 1, and AIARE 2.
- A letter of recommendation from a current AIARE Course Leader that speaks to your readiness to become a course leader. Please use this form.
- Your PRO 2 certificate (or equivalent – email firstname.lastname@example.org if you feel you have equivalent training). If you took your course from AIARE (either a Pro 2 or an AIARE 3), this will show up in your profile. If you took your course from another provider, you will need to provide a PDF or JPEG of your certificate.
- A completed and signed medical form. Download the PDF to your computer, fill it out, save it, and include it in your application email.
After signing up for the course online, you will need to email the supporting documentation to email@example.com within 24 hours of registration. Please include your full name and the course you are registering for in the subject line.
Cancellation Policy: If you cancel your course registration for any reason within 40 days of the start date of the course, there is no refund. If you cancel your course registration 40 days or more before the start date of the course, you will receive a refund, less a $100 administrative fee. Course fees are non-transferable, and can not be applied to other AIARE courses or AIARE fees. If AIARE cancels the course for any reason, a full refund will be given.
The cancellation and refund policy goes into effect immediately upon being accepted into the course. This cancellation and refund policy pertains to all course participants. No exceptions to the policy can be made.
We strongly encourage you to purchase travel insurance (including medical and evacuation insurance) to cover the costs of cancellation fees, airfare, and other non-refundable expenses in the event that you need to cancel from the course, AIARE needs to cancel a course, or you are injured prior to or on the course.
There are several scholarship opportunities for AIARE instructor development courses and AIARE Pro courses, as well as AIARE 1 classes.
The Kizaki-Wolf AIARE Scholarship supports outstanding outdoor professionals in furthering their avalanche education and teaching skills. This scholarship provides full or partial tuition for an Instructor Training Course, Course Leader Training Course or Pro 1 or Pro 2 course
The George Dirth Memorial Scholarship fund supports Colorado-based backcountry skiers/snowboarders. The Fund provides partial tuition for an AIARE 1 course. Please visit George Dirth Memorial for more information on this scholarship opportunity.