There are several scholarship opportunities for AIARE instructor training courses and AIARE Pro courses, as well as AIARE 1 classes.
Tom Murphy AIARE 3/Pro 2 Scholarship:
The Tom Murphy AIARE 3/Pro 2 Scholarship provides $1700 in tuition assistance for participants in AIARE 3 or AIARE Pro 2 courses. The scholarship does not cover room, board, or travel expenses.
- Deadline for submitting your application is September 15. Selections will be announced on October 1.
- Applicants must meet the prerequisites for attending a Pro 2 course at the time of application
To apply, please fill out the Tom Murphy Scholarship Application, including your 500 word or less essay describing how your participation in a Pro 2 course will further AIARE’s mission to save lives.
The Kizaki-Wolf AIARE Scholarship supports outstanding outdoor professionals in furthering their avalanche education and teaching skills. This scholarship provides full or partial tuition for an Instructor Training Course, Course Leader Training Course or Pro 1 or Pro 2 course. The selection committee focuses on four criteria in evaluating applicants:
- Outdoor professional career (guide, patroller, outdoor educator, etc.) dedication and achievement;
- Demonstrated leadership, character, and fellowship;
- Under-represented populations within outdoor professionals;
- An appreciation of, and commitment to, an inclusive and diverse community of outdoor recreationalists and professionals.
- CV, including outdoor professional positions, education, courses, certifications, and number of days worked annually as an outdoor professional.
- Video (5 minutes or less) addressing the following:
- What is your background? What led you to an outdoor professional career? Include any critical events or experiences.
- What are your goals and career aspirations as an outdoor professional? As an avalanche professional?
- Why are you a great candidate for this scholarship?
- How have you demonstrated an appreciation of, and commitment to, an inclusive and diverse community of outdoor recreationalists and professionals?
- Three professional references who can attest to your character and intellect in an outdoor professional-setting.
- Submit CV, video and references in one package/email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for submitting your application is October 15. Selections will be announced on November 15.
- Scholarship recipients must provide a brief, post-course video debrief discussing their experience, what they learned, how it will apply to their career development, and any advice or words of wisdom they’d give to future scholarship recipients.
The George Dirth Memorial Scholarship fund supports Colorado-based backcountry skiers/snowboarders. The Fund provides partial tuition for an AIARE 1 course. Please visit George Dirth Memorial for more information on this scholarship opportunity.