Student requirements for enrollment in a Pro 1:
Course applicants have completed the AIARE 1 course and the AIARE Avalanche Rescue course. (or AAA recognized Rec Level 1 and Avalanche Rescue Fundamentals course)
One winter season (20 days or more) of relevant experience (demonstrated through one of following).
- Winter backcountry travel experience supported by documented trip planning and recorded field observations that contributed to avalanche hazard assessment and personal avalanche risk management (see below); OR
- Prior avalanche work experience supported by a reference.
Pre-course Student Submissions to be uploaded upon registration:
While a professional reference (from a AAA Professional Member) can verify the winter season of relevant experience, applicants are required to submit:
- 3 days of field book trip plans (example, from the AIARE field book Page 8 & 9) to demonstrate the applicant has applied the AIARE 1 principles of decision making in winter backcountry terrain. This includes the daily trip plan, field weather and snowpack observations, and debrief notes. (PDF is the preferred file format but could be a jpg).
- AIARE 1 Student Manual
- Snow, Weather and Avalanches: Observation Guidelines, Published AAA, 2016 edition (SWAG)
- The Avalanche Handbook, Dave McLung, 1993 edition
Pro 1 Course Index:
UNDER CONSTRUCTION – PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR MORE INFO OR CALL AIARE