Updated ITC sign-up process
AIARE has updated our Instructor Training (IT) / Instructor Refresher (IR) sign-up process. The intent behind the changes is to enhance the IT course quality, by ensuring all aspiring AIARE Instructors arrive familiar with the AIARE 1 and 2 curriculum according to the AIARE 1 Instructor qualifications.
The change will allow our registration system to automatically reference your account in the AIARE national database against the Instructor Training pre-requisites.
For existing AIARE instructors, this system should not cause any changes. Simply login to your account, select the IT or IR of interest, and click on “sign-up for this class.” If you have any problems, please contact Don Svela, AIARE office manager.
For individuals looking to take the AIARE Instructor Training for the first time, please follow the steps below:
- Login to your member account (email address + password) and verify in your “List of Classes” a record of participation or observation of an AIARE 1 and 2 course, within the last 4 years.
- If your AIARE 1 and 2 records are present in your account’s List of Classes, proceed to step 2.
- If your AIARE 1 and 2 records are not present in your account’s List of Classes, the system will not allow you to register for the IT. In this case, please contact the AIARE course provider that ran your program and ask them to resend the course roster to Don Svela, AIARE office manager. This step can be accomplished in very short order, requiring only a phone call or email from the provider to the AIARE office to verify your course participation or observation. If you are unable to contact the course provider, then you may contact Don Svela directly.
- From the AIARE home page, under the “Instructor Training” menu, load the Instructor Training Schedule webpage, click on “detail” for the class of interest, then click on “sign-up for this course” and follow the prompts.
Beginning in 2016, the AIARE Instructor Training (IT’s) and Course Leader Trainings (CLT’s) will each include 5 days of training. Both trainings include an evaluation component. AIARE Instructor standards will guide our on-course activities, self-evaluation process, and evaluation by the Trainers.
All prospective AIARE instructors participate in the AIARE IT en-route to becoming an AIARE Instructor. The IT’s offer prospective instructors the chance to discuss and practice teaching the AIARE curriculum, which requires IT participants to be familiar with the curriculum in advance of the programs. Note that participants must observe an AIARE 1 and 2 prior to attending the Instructor Training, as detailed in the Instructor Qualifications. The courses spend time indoors and in the field. IT’s are held on a regular basis, generally 4 times per season, with programs distributed at venues around the US.
The Instructor Training does not automatically qualify the participant to be an AIARE instructor. Complete qualifications are described here: Instructor Qualifications. Once prospective instructors have attended a training course, they are required to refresh on a regular basis to maintain their instructor qualification.
A complete overview of the AIARE instructor training and instructor continuing education program is discussed here. If you are serious about the AIARE instructor training program you need to read that document.
Those who wish to attend an IT should apply online through the Instructor Training Schedule page, following the process outlined above. For questions, contact Ben Pritchett, AIARE Programs Director; email@example.com
Instructor Refresher (IR’s) are designed for existing AIARE instructors. Attendance at an IR every 3 years is required to stay current as an AIARE instructor. IR’s are one day sessions that review any curriculum changes, update instructors on new technical information and frequently include a guest presentation. Some of these sessions have outdoor components and some do not dependent upon venue. Check details.
Instructor Training Equipment List
Materials included for IT’s
- Student Manuals for the corresponding course
- Sample Lesson Plans
- “The Art of Teaching Adults” by Peter Renner (provided on the IT only)
- Various reference and research papers
- AIARE Field Book
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If a student cancels 40 days prior to the start date of the course, AIARE will retain a $100.00 administrative fee. If a student cancels within 40 days prior to the course, the tuition is non-refundable and non-transferrable to a future course. If AIARE cancels the course for any reason, a full refund will be given. This cancellation and refund policy pertains to all course participants. No exceptions to the policy can be made.
We strongly encourage you to purchase travel insurance (including medical and evacuation insurance) to cover the costs of cancellation fees, airfare, and other non-refundable expenses in the event that you need to cancel from the course, we need to cancel a course, or you are injured prior to or on the course.