New Course for the 2017-18 Season!
AIARE Avalanche Rescue is a one-day stand alone course that is intended to be retaken on a regular basis in order to keep abreast of best practices in rescue techniques and gear. New participants will learn the basics of companion rescue, while return participants will expand their skill set with advanced topics and realistic scenario practice to help improve their skills after the course.
Each participant will have the opportunity to receive professional coaching their rescue skills and will receive a rescue card acknowledging completion date at course end.
AIARE Avalanche Rescue is a prerequisite for the AIARE 2 and Pro 1 courses. AIARE recommends that all backcountry travelers keep their skills current by taking an Avalanche Rescue Course and receiving a rescue card at least every other year.
Student learning outcomes
At the end of the Avalanche Rescue course the student should be able to:
- Describe what to do if they or a member of their party is caught in an avalanche
- Identify and be able to use gear necessary for avalanche rescue
- Set up a realistic scenario in order to practice an avalanche rescue response
- Improve their response skills and times during and after the course with feedback from instructors and peers
- Develop a plan for continued practice
All students will have the opportunity to get feedback from an instructor on their rescue skills and timed practice with a realistic scenario.
Students who have previously taken an AIARE 1 or an Avalanche Rescue Course will find value in having a professional help them set up a realistic scenario, practice skills in a realistic setting, receive feedback from an instructor, keep up with current best practices, and have an opportunity to practice advanced rescue skills.
Who Should Take this Course
The Avalanche Rescue Course is a one-day course aimed both at new and experienced recreational backcountry travelers and aspiring avalanche professionals.
Students must be able to travel in the snow, and bring appropriate equipment for traveling on snow to class. There are no other prerequisites.
Find an AIARE Avalanche Rescue course near you.
- AIARE Course Providers
- Avalanche Course Dates (If you don’t see a course in your area, reach out to our Providers)
- AIARE Avalanche Rescue Sample Course Outline