Sample Course outline
Personal protective and avalanche rescue equipment
- Identify and familiarize students with winter personal protective, avalanche rescue, and self-evacuation equipment and their proper use
- Demonstrate and practice routines to check gear’s function
Demonstrate avalanche rescue
- Introduce Avalanche Rescue Quick Reference tool and apply it to a scenario
- Breakdown and practice individuals skills of avalanche rescue: assessing the scene and taking leadership, using a transceiver, using a probe, and shoveling
Single burial scenarios
- Learn to set up effective scenarios for practice
- Integrate individual skills into a rescue scenario
Patient considerations and evacuation
- Identify potential patient care considerations resulting from avalanche burial or involvement
- Name equipment for self-evacuation and communication to outside resources
- Describe considerations when interfacing with Search and Rescue and Emergency Medical Services
Scenario practice and feedback
- Integrate skills and receive feedback on rescue response from a professional
Advanced topics – Covered depending on student need and interest
- Employ probing on a line with a partner to reduce search times and need for bracketing.
- Apply foundational skills to multiple victim scenarios without close proximity burials.
- Recognize challenges associated with deep burials.
- Employ repeatable method (Micro-strip or 3-circle) for locating close-proximity multiple burials