AIARE develops and disseminates avalanche course materials to avalanche educators in the United States, South America and Europe. There are over 90 course providers and 300 instructors representing AIARE internationally.
We gather the latest knowledge, research and ideas in avalanche safety and create avalanche training courses that reflect the needs of today’s backcountry travelers.
AIARE provides ongoing continuing education to our instructor group and instructors maintain currency by attending requisite continuing professional development courses on a regular basis.
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization operating as such since 1998.
Our mission is to:
“Save lives through avalanche education“
The specific goals of AIARE are:
- Increase the public awareness of avalanches and avalanche safety.
- Provide high quality avalanche education thereby enhancing public awareness and safety.
- Provide avalanche instructors with the curriculum, training and tools with which to educate students about the knowledge, methods, and decision making skills necessary to travel in avalanche terrain.
- Develop an international network of professional avalanche educators, and provide professional development in the form of instructor training and continued professional education.
- Fund projects that develop avalanche course support materials for educators and students.